Ship Forum :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips

Re: Italian submarine Zoea
Posted by: Platon Alexiades (IP Logged)
Date: April 13, 2012 06:32AM

Hello Brian and Francesco,

I am sorry but I have a couple of corrections.
ZOEA had left dock on 22 October 1941 when she sank at her moorings at about 0920 due to the starboard mine hatch accidentally opened some time between 0815 and 0920. There were a number of persons on board. The inquest recorded that at least 19 persons were in the control room at one time or another who could have opened the hatch by mistake. Three were electricians from the crew and the remainder workers from the S. Giorgio, Calzoni and Tosi firms and from Maricost Taranto. There were crew members in other parts of the boat when the accident occurred. The document I have read does not list the names of every person on board, only those in the control room who could have opened the mine hatch. A total of 56 were interrogated but probably not all were on board. There was no panic in the crew members who evacuated in good order, there was some panic among the workers. The submarine sank slowly and Engineer Festuccia (Maggiore G.N.) from the near by submarine SAINT BON, had time to run and board ZOEA to try to close the hatches but was not in time and was thrown in the water. There were no victims. Note that executive officer T.V. Erler was in command at the time and her commanding officet T.V. Campanella was absent to attend his wife who was very sick. The submarine was raised on 5 November and docked and she was repaired in time for operation HARPOON as Francesco wrote.

Best regards,

Platon

Subject Written By Posted
  Italian submarine Zoea BrianV 04/12/2012 07:14AM
  Re: Italian submarine Zoea de domenico 04/12/2012 10:24AM
  Re: Italian submarine Zoea BrianV 04/12/2012 11:56AM
  Re: Italian submarine Zoea Platon Alexiades 04/13/2012 06:32AM
  Re: Italian submarine Zoea de domenico 04/13/2012 07:14AM
  Re: Italian submarine Zoea BrianV 04/13/2012 08:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.