Re: Bucintauro & floating dock
Posted by: de domenico
Date: March 20, 2013 08:33AM
BUCINTORO was built by J. Priestman & Co. at Southwick (Sunderland) as their no. 127, FERNANDE, launched 6.4.1909 & delivered same month to Fernand Bouet, Caen, 1.326 grt. A German Army transport in 1916, retuned to her French owner in 1919, 1923 to Buck Steam Shipping & Coal Exports Ltd, Goole (same name). 1932 to SAN Salvagno of Venice as BUCINTORO, 1.272 or 1.273 grt, 645 nrt, 1.750 tdw.
She was in the floating drydock at Portolago when hit by German air attack on 5 Oct. 1943. The drydock went listing, but the cargo was able to float out. However, she was again hit on 8 and/or 12 Oct. and sank, while the drydock capsized on 15 Oct. The ship was later salvaged, and in 1947/48 she was again under the Italian Naval Registry. Took the name CARLO GARRE' in 1952 for Umberto Tomei of Viareggio, then in 1956 resumed the name BUCINTORO for Giulio di Gravio, Naples. Broken up at La Spezia June 1959.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 03:31AM by de domenico.