Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home 

D/S Stalheim
Updated July 25-2012

To Stalheim on the "Ships starting with S" page.

Crew List

Source: Sverre Johansen's postcard collection.

Owner: A/S Standard
Manager: J. B. Stang, Oslo
1298 gt, 2425 tdwt
Signal Letters: LJFG

Built at Fredriksstad mek. Verksted, Fredrikstad in 1936.

Captain: Holger Jensen

Related items on this website:
Guestbook message - From the son-in-law of one of the survivors, Messboy Magnus Indrevold
Another Guestbook message - Re. the grave of one of the casualties, 2nd Engineer Albin Andersen (see picture of gravestone further down on this page).

Her voyages are listed on this original document received from the National Archives of Norway.

Please compare the above voyages with Arnold Hague's Voyage Record below.

  Voyage Record
From March-1940 to July-1940:  

(Received from Don Kindell - His source: The late Arnold Hague's database).

Follow the convoy links provided for more information on each.

Departure From To Arrival Convoy Remarks
1940 March 1 Gibraltar Liverpool March 9 HG 21F
March 13 Liverpool Clyde March 14 Independent
March 23 Liverpool* OB 115 *From Clyde - See archive document
With OA 115, formed OG 23, March 25.
Convoy available at OB 115
(external link)
March 25 Formed at sea Passed Gibraltar March 31 OG 23 Convoy will be added.
See ships in OG convoys
March 31 Passed Gibraltar Jaffa Apr. 7 Independent
Apr. 12 Jaffa Gibraltar Apr. 23 Independent A. Hague says:
Notional sailing date
(archive doc gives Apr. 13)
Apr. 26 Gibraltar Liverpool May 5 HG 28F
June 2 Liverpool OB 160 Dispersed June 5.
Convoy available at OB 160
(external link)
June 5 Dispersed from OB 160 Sydney, C.B. June 15 Independent
June 15 Sydney, C.B. Halifax June 16 Independent Notional sailing date
June 16 Halifax Caraquet June 20 Independent
June 22 Caraquet Halifax June 25 Independent
June 25 Halifax Liverpool July 10 HX 53 (Compare w/archive document)
July 20 Liverpool Port Talbot July 23 Independent
July 31 Port Talbot Independent See "Final Fate" below

 Misc. War Voyages: 
Follow the convoy links provided for more info; other Norwegian ships also took part.

Prior to the outbreak of WW II this ship had been sailing mostly between Norway and the U.S./Canada, and was in Montreal when the war started in Sept.-1939. She proceeded for Norway with her cargo but was stopped by the British and taken to the Orkneys for a contrabande check. After a few days she continued to Moss, Norway, then to Drammen before heading to the U.K. After a few more voyages Norway-U.K. she started carrying fruit between Palestine and Norway from early 1940.

She's listed among the ships in Convoy HGF 21 from Gibraltar to the U.K. at the beginning of March-1940. Later that month she shows up in Convoy OB 115, which left Liverpool on March 23 and joined up with Convoy OA 115 on March 25, the combined convoy forming Convoy OG 23, which arrived Gibraltar on the 31st. Her destination is not given, but according to the archive document, she arrived Jaffa on Apr. 7, having started out from Clyde March 23. OG 23 will be added to an individual page in my Convoys section in due course - in the meantime, the ships sailing in it are named on the page listing ships in all OG convoys.

When war broke out in Norway on Apr. 9-1940 she was still in Tel Aviv (outskirts of Jaffa) loading oranges for Oslo, but was instead ordered to proceed to Liverpool with the cargo. Going back to the archive document, we see that she left Jaffa for Gibraltar on Apr. 13, and on Apr. 26 we find her in station 34 of Convoy HGF 28 from Gibraltar, arriving Liverpool on May 5. She was 1 of 5 Norwegian ships in that convoy, the others being Sevilla, Kosmos II, Bur and Einar Jarl.

The following month she's listed, together with Samuel Bakke, in Convoy OB 160, leaving Liverpool on June 2, dispersed on the 5th - ref. link provided within the Voyage Record. Again, her destination is not given, but from the archive document we learn that she arrived Sydney, C.B. on June 15. Having made a voyage to Caraquet, N.B. and on to Halifax, she headed back to the U.K. on June 25 in Convoy HX 53, leaving again at the end of July in order to return across the North Atlantic, but did not get very far, as follows:

 Final Fate - 1940: 

Stalheim had arrived Port Talbot on July 23-1940. With a cargo of coal for Cardiff(?) and St. John, N.B. she left again on July 31, intending to stop at Barry to have degaussing installed, but didn't make it that far. Just a few minutes after departure, about 100 meters from land, she struck a mine which, according to this message on my Ship Forum, was a German laid aerial magnetic mine (position 51 34 37N 03 49 40W). 5 were killed, 13 seriously injured, only 3 escaped unharmed. The captain was knocked unconscious and found himself in a hospital when he woke up the next morning (he was there for 3 weeks).

According to a survivor's story the 5 who died had all been in the engine room. He adds that various types of vessels came out to assist in the rescue operations. (The same survivor says she had a complement of 22(?), 14 of whom + the pilot were admitted to a hospital).

Jan-Olof, Sweden has told me that "Lloyd's War Losses, Vol I British, Allied and Neutral Merchant Vessels Sunk or Destroyed by War Causes", 1989 reprint says she was on a voyage from Port Talbot for Barry and St. John, N.B. with a cargo of 1876 tons of anthracite. Position is given as half a mile W.S.W. from South Pier, Port Talbot. Another visitor to my site says that “Men of the Mumbles Head” states she burnt fiercely and sank within 3 minutes. Mumbles Lifeboat crew was mustered but cancelled when they heard an RAF rescue launch had picked up 17 survivors of the crew of 20. "Shipwreck Index of the British Isles" says it was a magnetic mine.

For info, some of Stalheim's survivors travelled to Cardiff and later joined the Swedish D/S Taberg, in service U.K.-Spain/Portugal. Apparently, the chief engineeer's collection of chickens and pigs on board this ship was a welcome addition to their otherwise rather simple food supply, and was especially useful after they had evacuated about 200 refugees from Le Havre (I get the understanding they were landed in Casablanca). Taberg was torpedoed and sunk by the Italian submarine Guglielmo Marconi on June 6-1941 on a voyage U.K.-Spain in ballast, Convoy OG 63 (again, see ships in all OG convoys). The 6 survivors (out of a complement of 22), among them the Norwegian Johannes Tøsse (possibly the cook below?) and Thor Lund (probably identical to the trimmer in the crew list below) were picked up from their raft a day later by a Britsh naval vessel (trawler?) and taken to Gibraltar (attacked by aircraft en route?). According to this Guestbook message, Magnus Indrevold was also on board Taberg at the time. Thor Lund later served on Idefjord, Thorsholm, Britamsea, Herma and Roseville - ref. alphabet index below for more on these ships. See also the external link to the names of Norwegian casualties of Taberg - John Hagstrøm, who survived the sinking of Stalheim, is among them.

Crew List:

Holger Jensen
1st Mate
Leif Ludviksen
2nd Mate
Jørgen Iversen
Able Seaman
Lion Zabari
Able Seaman
John Hagstrøm
Ordinary Seaman
Walter Martinsen
Ordinary Seaman
Thorbjørn Berg
Ordinary Seaman
Kåre Forsland
Ordinary Seaman
Dagfinn Karlsen
1st Engineer
Karl Olsen
Arthur Gabrielsen
Tor Lund
Trygve Hansen
Johannes Johansen
Mess Boy
Magnus Indrevold*
Bert Gunn
* See this Guestbook message and crew list for Ariadne.

2nd Engineer
Albin Andersen*

3rd Engineer
Georg Hill Olsen

Ragnvald Hansen

Anker B. Bernhardsen

Jørgen Andreassen

* Albin Andersen is buried at Port Talbot; in the same row as British soldiers and airmen - ref. this message in my Guestbook. Raymond Jones, who posted the message (and also sent me this picture), later told me that the wreck of Stalheim lies just outside the entrance and main channel to Port Talbot Harbour and was marked with a buoy called "Stalheim". However, Graham Locke (another visitor to my site), says that this buoy broke free on May 25-2005 and came ashore on Aberavon Beach (before the wreck was marked, a local vessel struck it and almost sank before getting to the safety of the river).

Related external link:
Stavern Memorial commemorations

External links related to Swedish Taberg:
The Swedish Taberg is also included on the Memorial for Seamen, Stavern website, but only the
2 Norwegians who died are commemorated. The text says that she was 300 n. miles west of Gibraltar on her way from Glasgow to Huelva at the time. As can be seen, John Hagstrøm is listed.

Guglielmo Marconi

Back to Stalheim on the "Ships starting with S" page.

This company also had a ship named Stalheim post war. This was the former D/S Carmelfjell, which was sold in 1950 to A/S Standard (manager J. B. Stang, Oslo) and renamed Stalheim. Sold in 1958 to K/S A/S Motore & Co. (manager Nils Hugo Sand, Oslo). Renamed Seawake in 1959. Sold in 1960 to F. Meotto, Italy, and renamed Giudecca. Sold in 1962 to captain Salvatore Lofaro, Torre del Greco, Italy, and renamed Rosario Lofaro.

The text on this page was compiled with the help of: "Nortraships flåte", J. R. Hegland, "Sjøforklaringer fra 2. verdenskrig", Volume II, Norwegian Maritime Museum - (ref. My sources) and misc. E-mails from visitors to my site.


 Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home