Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home 

D/S Ringstad
Updated May 17-2012

To Ringstad on the "Ships starting with R" page.

Crew & Passenger List

When named Talisman - taken in the 1930's (Source: Wilh. Wilhelmsen Fleet List, w/permission).

Owner: Skibs A/S Gdynia
Manager: Olav Ringdal, Oslo
4765 gt, 2833 net, 7618 tdwt
Dimensions: 400.6' x 54.2' x 26.3'
Machinery: Two 6 cyl. 4 scsa oil engines totalling 3100 ihp by Algemeine Electricitäts Gesellschaft, Berlin, driving twin screws.
Service Speed: 10 knots
Signal Letters: LCZU

Launched Jan. 27-1923 by Deutsche Werft A.G., Hamburg (Yard No. 61), completed Apr. 10-1923 as Talisman for Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Tønsberg. Sold on Nov. 3-1936 to Bruun & von der Lippes Rederi A/S (Bruun & von der Lippe), Tønsberg, and renamed Vigilant. Sold in 1937 to Skibs A/S Gdynia (Olav Ringdal), Oslo. Renamed Ringstad in 1940.

Captain: Jacob K. Knudstad

Her voyages are listed on these original images from the Norwegian National Archives:
Page 1 | Page 2

Please compare the above voyages with Arnold Hague's Voyage Record below.

  Voyage Record
From March-1940 to Jan.-1942:  

(Received from Don Kindell - His source: The late Arnold Hague's database).

Follow the convoy links provided for more information on each.

Departure From To Arrival Convoy Remarks
1940 March 20 Buenos Aires Cape Verdes Apr. 5 Independent
Apr. 5 Cape Verdes Lisbon Apr. 16 Independent
Apr. 20 Lisbon Falmouth Apr. 23 Independent
May 11 Falmouth Plymouth May 12 Independent
June 7* Plymouth OA 163GF *Page 1 gives departure June 9.
With OB 163, formed OG 33F, June 9.
Convoy available at OA 163
(external link)
June 9 Formed at sea OG 33F Detached June 11.
Convoy will be added.
See ships in OG convoys
June 11 Detached from OG 33F New York City June 23 Independent
July 18 New York City Halifax July 21 Independent
July 23 Halifax Clyde Aug. 7 HX 60 See also narrative below
Aug. 25 Clyde OB 203 For Montreal.
Dispersed 56 32N 21 26W, Aug. 28.
Convoy available at OB 203
(external link)
Aug. 28 Dispersed from OB 203 Montreal Sept. 10 Independent Via Quebec, Sept. 9
(Page 1).
Sept. 13 Montreal New York City Sept. 22 Independent A. Hague says:
For engine & hull repairs
Dec. 8 New York City Halifax Dec. 11 Independent
Dec. 14 Halifax Clyde Dec. 30 HX 96
1941 Jan. 31 Clyde OB 280 Dispersed Febr. 3.
Convoy available at OB 280
(external link)
Febr. 3 Dispersed from OB 280 St. John, N.B. Febr. 17 Independent
March 15 St. John, N.B. Halifax Independent Page 1 gives arrival March 16
March 17 Halifax Avonmouth Apr. 4 HX 115
Apr. 24 Avonmouth Milford Haven Apr. 25 Independent
Apr. 26 Milford Haven OB 315 For Montreal.
Dispersed 58 30N 36 20W, May 4.
Convoy available at OB 315
(external link)
May 4 Dispersed from OB 315 Montreal May 14 Independent
May 21 Montreal Halifax May 25 Independent
May 27 Halifax Avonmouth June 13 HX 129 See also Page 1
?? June 12 Belfast Lough Avonmouth June 13 BB 33 Convoy available at BB convoys
(external link)
June 30 Avonmouth Milford Haven June 30 Independent
July 1 Milford Haven OB 341A For Montreal.
Detached July 14.
Convoy available at OB 341A.
See also OB 341
and narrative below
(external links)
July 14 Detached from OB 341A Montreal July 19 Independent
Sept. 4 Montreal Halifax Sept. 8 Independent
Sept. 10 Halifax HX 149 6 Passengers
Sept. 24 From HX 149 Avonmouth Sept. 26 BB 80 Convoy available at BB convoys
(external link)
Oct. 17 Avonmouth Milford Haven Oct. 18 Independent Again, see also Page 1
Oct. 19 Milford Haven ON 28 Dispersed 42 23N 58 44W, Nov. 3.
Convoy will be added.
See ships in ON convoys
Nov. 3 Dispersed from ON 28 Montreal Nov. 7 Independent
Nov. 23 Montreal Halifax Nov. 28 Independent
Dec. 3 Halifax Belfast Lough Dec. 19 HX 163 6 Passengers
Dec. 21 Belfast Lough Cardiff Dec. 22 BB 114 Convoy available at BB convoys
(external link)
See also Page 2
1942 Jan. 8 Cardiff Milford Haven Jan. 9 Independent
Jan. 11 Milford Haven ON 56 From Belfast Lough, Jan. 13
(Page 2).
Dispersed 59 00N 17 00W, Jan. 16.
Convoy will be added.
See ships in ON convoys
Jan. 16 Dispersed from ON 56 Independent Sunk - See "Final Fate" below

 Some Convoy Voyages: 
For information on voyages made in between those mentioned here, please see the documents received from the National Archives of Norway and A. Hague's Voyage Record above. Follow the convoy links provided for further details; the Commodore's notes are also available for some of them and several Norwegian ships took part.

According to Page 1 of the archive documents, Ringstad was on her way from Buenos Aires to Norway when war broke out on Apr. 9-1940, but put into Lisbon on Apr. 16, proceeding to Falmouth a few days later then on to Plymouth, where she remained for almost a month.

She's subsequently listed among the ships in Convoy OA 163, which left Southend on June 7 and joined up with Convoy OB 163 on June 9, the combined convoy forming the Gibraltar bound Convoy OG 33F (see my page listing ships in all OG convoys - Olaf Fostenes, Sildra and Tana are also listed, all from the OB convoy). Her destination is not given, but from the archive document, we learn that she arrived New York on June 23, having started out from Plymouth on June 9. According to A. Hague, she had left the convoy on June 11 to proceed to her destination, where she stayed until July 18, when she headed to Halifax in order to join Convoy HX 60 on July 23, general cargo for Glasgow, station 52 (she had been cancelled from the previous convoy, HX 59, on July 19). Together with Heina, Idefjord, Nea, Sama, Thalatta and Thorshavn, she later joined Convoy OB 203, originating in Liverpool on Aug. 24, dispersed on the 28th. Ringstad's destination is given as Montreal, general cargo. According to Page 1, she arrived Quebec on Sept. 9, Montreal Sept. 11, having started out from Clyde on Aug. 25. The external site that I've linked to in the table above has more on the OB and OA convoys. From Montreal, she proceeded to New York on Sept. 13, remaining there for until Dec. 9 - A. Hague says she underwent engine and hull repairs. On Dec. 14 we find her in Convoy HX 96 from Halifax, again bound for Glasgow with general cargo, arriving there on Dec. 30.

At the end of Jan.-1941 she shows up, along with Bjørkhaug, Kaia Knudsen, Ringhorn (sunk, follow link for details), Sandar and Vanja, in Convoy OB 280, which originated in Liverpool on Jan. 31 and dispersed Febr. 3. Again, no destination is given for Ringstad, but from Page 1, we learn that she arrived St. John, N.B. on Febr. 17, having sailed from Clyde on Jan. 31. She again had a long stay in port, before proceeding to Halifax, then headed back to the U.K. again on March 17 with Convoy HX 115, general cargo for Avonmouth, station 83, arriving there on Apr. 4. She now joined Convoy OB 315 in order to go back to Montreal. The convoy, which also included Sandanger, left Liverpool Apr. 27 and dispersed May 4; Ringstad started out from Milford Haven on Apr. 26 and arrived Montreal May 14. Carrying a general cargo as well as trucks, she went back to the U.K. later that month in Convoy HX 129, bound for Avonmouth, station 122, arriving that destination on June 14. See also the Cruising order/Commodore's notes.

In July, she joined a convoy which A. Hague has given the designation OB 341A, originating in Liverpool on July 2. However, as can be seen when following the link in the table above, escorts only are named. Instead, she has been included among the ships in Convoy OB 341, which originated in Liverpool on June 30 and dispersed July 6, but it looks like the ships in these 2 convoys have been listed on the same page (it'll be noticed that there are too many ships - among them are Brisk, Evanger, Fana, Leikanger, Novasli, Nueva Granada, Nyholt, Polartank, Sommerstad, Thorøy, Thorshavn, Thorsholm and Vigsnes). Ringstad was again bound for Montreal, where she arrived on July 19, having sailed from Milford Haven on July 1. A. Hague says she had been detached from the convoy (OB 341A) on July 14.

She subsequently remained in Montreal until Sept. 4 when she proceeded to Halifax in order to join Convoy HX 149, which left Halifax on Sept. 10-1941 and arrived Liverpool on the 25th. Ringstad arrived Avonmouth on the 26th, then headed back across the Atlantic the following month with Convoy ON 28, together with Beth, Brant County, Grena, Laurits Swenson, Morgenen and Polartank (convoy left Liverpool on Oct. 20, dispersed Nov. 3 - see ships in all ON convoys). She arrived Montreal on Nov. 7, having sailed from Milford Haven Oct. 19 (Page 1), and on Dec. 3 she started on her return voyage in Convoy HX 163 from Halifax. According to Page 2, Ringstad arrived Cardiff (via Belfast Lough) on Dec. 23.

More info on the other Norwegian ships mentioned here can be found via the alphabet index at the end of this page, or go to the Master Ship Index.

 Final Fate - 1942: 

Together with Alaska, Andrea Brøvig, Leiesten, Pan Norway (both sunk - follow links for details), Polarsol, Solstad, Topdalsfjord and Vardefjell, Ringstad now joined the westbound Convoy ON 56, originating in Liverpool on Jan. 12-1942, dispersed on the 16th (again, see ships in all ON convoys). She was on a voyage from Cardiff to St. John, N. B. with a cargo of 2600 tons china clay, having departed Belfast Lough on Jan. 13 (note that Page 2 gives her destination as St. John's, N.F.). Due to several days of stormy weather she had lost touch with the convoy and was alone on Jan. 24 when she was torpedoed and sunk by U-333 (Cremer), 45 50N 51 04W (off Cape Race). She had received a radio message the day before that the Norwegian Leiesten had been torpedoed about 100 miles from their position, and more or less in their intended route, so she had immediately altered course. According to the captain's report this new course would take them about 80 n. miles south of Cape Race and about 70 miles north of their intended route.

The torpedo struck on the starboard side between hatch No. 2 and 3, causing a powerful explosion and she sank down with the foreship. The aft port lifeboat filled with water and was ruined, but all on board got safely away in the 3 remaining boats. After Ringstad had gone down (in about 20 minutes) the U-boat came up and from the tower someone pointed in the direction of the nearest land, before the boat disappeared.

The weather worsened and the boats were unable to stay together. Captain Knudstad's boat (motor) with 13 on board headed northwest for 5 days, their boat completely covered in ice and constantly taking in water in the heavy seas, so they had to keep bailing. On Jan. 29 they saw smoke from a convoy far away, an escorting aircraft spotted them and sent the American destroyer Swanson to assist. The exhausted and frostbitten men were landed at Reykjavik on Febr. 5. The captain, who was sick for a year after his ordeal, assumed, based on his own experiences, that the 30 missing men in the other 2 boats had frozen to death (27 crew, 3 passengers).

See also link to the external website re USS Swanson provided at the end of this page, which includes a report on the rescue of Ringstad's survivors, as well as the names of those rescued (including the captain's dog Prinz, who was later presented to Swanson's captain) and a brief report on the sinking.

The page says the following:
"....At that time a Patrol bomber operating out of St. Johns, Newfoundland informed the Swanson there was a lifeboat to the north of the Swanson location. Course was changed to the north and the ship went to full speed. Shortly afterwards the lifeboat was visually sighted bearing 350 degrees true, approximately 12 miles distance. Of course the unspoken thought occurred to those on the bridge and certainly it must have run through the mind of the of the late Captain Kingsley that this could be an ambush. A lurking U-Boat would have a perfect target set up on a destroyer stopped dead in the water with a lifeboat alongside. As the Swanson made the approach and could see the men sitting in open lifeboat, only one man raised a hand to give a slight wave; the rest just sat there immobile. These were 13 extremely cold and exhausted men and one dog. Most of the men were suffering from frost bitten hands and feet. Only one man seemed to be able to move about a little. Swanson sailors quickly jumped down into the lifeboat to assist the men up the sea ladder which had been dropped down over the side. Small lines were attached to their life jackets and the Swanson sailors lifted and hauled these men up to the deck. They were physically incapable of climbing up the ladder. They were survivors from the Norwegian ship SS Ringstad, which was torpedoed by a German U-Boat on 24 January 1942. The temperature was 30 degrees.

The rescue was effected at Latitude 47-55 North and Longitude 50-53 West, which is 60 miles southeast of Cape Race. The rescued men were: Captain J.K. Knudstad, O.S. Olsen, L. Meen, E.C. Streton, E. Oygarden, B. Borresen, T. Eklud, O.A. Eniks, A. Egge, S. Goodwin, R.Fairey, F.W.J. Bowley, W.J. Hiton, and Prinz (Captain’s Alsatian dog.)

The Swanson then sank the lifeboat using 5”/38 gunfire.

Captain Knudstad, the Master of the SS Ringstad submitted the following report to the Commanding officer of the Swanson:
“After launching torpedoes, the attacking submarine surfaced, remaining so for approximately one half hour. Only two men were seen in the conning tower, and the submarine was believed to be of small or medium size. The submarine number was either 857 or 827. The conning officers in the submarine pointed out the course to the nearest land before submerging. Two other life boats were launched, one of which capsized while launching. The other lifeboat has not been seen since the date of torpedoing.

The following men, among others, are believed to have been in one of the other two lifeboats: Lt. Williams, Royal Navy (Special Branch), bomb disposal expert enroute to Ottawa, Canada; Sub-Lieutenant Jameson, Royal Navy (Special Branch), Canadian: William Laurie, Ordnance Seaman, (Special Branch), Canadian.

Captain Knudstad before leaving the Swanson presented his dog Prinz to Captain Kingsley, who proudly accepted the gift and upon return to the United States took Prinz to his home."

It adds: "By mid morning on Thursday 5 February 1942 the Swanson had arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland and moored alongside the tanker Rapidan to fuel. Within minutes the Hospital ship Avon Glen came alongside and the survivors from the SS Ringstad and Fredrick Heath from the SS Barrister were transferred (Barrister had been in Convoy HX 172, for which Swanson had acted as escort. Gunner Fredrick Heath had been injured by shrapnel in his chest).

The inquiry was held in Reykjavik on Apr. 25-1942 with the 2nd mate and Oiler Børresen appearing (the latter was in the engine room at the time of attack). The captain was still in the Norwegian Hospital there at that time.

Roger W. Jordan's "The World's Merchant Fleets 1939" says the torpedo came from U-335, Convoy ONS 55, while Jürgen Rohwer agrees with U-333, adding ON 55 as the convoy ( also gives ON 55, ref. external links at the end of this page - again, Ringstad is listed in ON 56). Both agree on the position given above. Note that the ONS convoy series was not established until March the following year, but the slow ON convoys were often referred to as ONS before that time in signals and contemporary documents (continuing to be sequentially numbered), even though they were not established as such until 1943, when the numbering started with ONS 1. (In that series there was no Convoy ONS 55, the last one was ONS 51 - see my page listing ships in all ONS convoys). ON 55 had departed Liverpool on Jan. 8-1942, dispersed in 44 25N 51 19W. The following ships are said to have been sunk from this convoy: The Panamanian Chepo and the British Empire Surf, both by U-43 on Jan. 14, the Greek Mount Kitheron by U-754 on Jan. 25 and the British Silveray by U-751 on Febr. 4. Note, however, that A. Hague has not included Silveray in ON 55, but has her in an earlier convoy, ON 53 (see ships in all ON convoys).

There might simply be a printing error with regard to the U-boat sinking Ringstad in Jordan's book(?). According to's information (external link) U-335 only made one war patrol, and that patrol did not start until Aug. 1-1942, the boat having been in training from 12/1941 till 7/1942. She was stationed in the Baltic. Also, Ken Dunn (a visitor to my site) has told me that according to the book "U-boat Commander - A Periscope View of the Battle of the Atlantic" by Peter Cremer himself (ISBN 0-87021-969-3), Ringstad was identified by that commander.

Cremer says: "I submerged for an underwater attack and delivered a shot from Tube 1 (time given as 15:25, German time). The torpedo ran at three meters depth and struck. The steamer, a Norwegian by name Ringstad, stopped, settled by the bow and blew off steam. Shortly afterwards she slid stem-first into the depths." He seems impressed with the behaviour of the seamen who were "extraordinarily calm and had already dressed their wounded". He says the lifeboats were "large and well equipped, provided with a quenched-spark transmitter which they were using. We gathered they were reporting their torpedoing and exact position, so I could not stop any longer but had to make a quick get-away."

37 years later he learned more from one of the crew members' report, Oiler Roar Boye Børresen (captain Knudstad had died by then) who thought the torpedo must have hit in their china clay cargo. At the time, they intended to clean the oil tanks in order to be ready for arrival St. John the following day. They did not feel the explosion in the engine room, just a heavy bump. Fearing another torpedo the 2nd mate sent them to the lifeboats, and Ringstad sank within 20 minutes. Børresen indicates their fear of being shot when the U-boat came towards them, but instead the commander offered them food and water (which was declined), pointed them in the direction of East Newfoundland saying they were about 85 n. miles from land, wished them good luck and said he hoped they would be picked up, then disappeared. Børresen adds "he was a seaman, one of the type that we produce. He behaved according to the code of seamen who take no oath on it but know: help one another when in trouble at sea!"

Crew & Passenger List:

Jakob K. Knudstad
2nd Mate
Leif Meen
Arne Egge
Able Seaman
Oskar A. Eniks
Able Seaman
Eilif Øygaren
1st Engineer
Oskar Sjuls Olsen
Thomas A. Eklund
Stanley Goodwin
Roar Boye Børresen
Edwin Carlo Streton
Fradk. Wm. J. Bowley
Wilfred J. Hinton
Richard Fairley
Captain's dog

1st Mate
John Olaf Olsen

3rd Mate
Harald Hansen

Radio Operator
Lars S. Larsen

Gustav M. Bergstrøm

Able Seaman
Haakon Jensen

Able Seaman
Odvar Pedersen

Able Seaman
Peteris Bukoiko

Able Seaman
Kåre Halvorsen

Able Seaman
Kåre Rossem

Able Seaman
Andreas Brevik

Able Seaman
Kasper Hetland

Able Seaman/Gunner
Anton O. Olsen

Deck Boy
Bror Bylander

2nd Engineer
Per S. Jacobsen

3rd Engineer
Kristoffer Solerud

Kazimirz Sokolowski

Bjarne Ølnes

Refrig. Engineer
Georg J. Ekeberg

Frederick Howell Davies*

Thorbjørn Hoem

John Norman Hughes

Henry Hansen

Muhamed Hanafy

Reidar Eliassen

Mess Boy
William Harry Grist*

Saloon Boy
Fred Martin*

Erling Olaussen

D. E. Bathune Williams

R. G. Jamieson

W. Laurie

* The British Electrician is commemorated at Tower Hill, listed on this page on the The Commonwealth War Graves Comm. website. The Canadian mess boy can be found on this page, and here is Fred Martin - the 2 Canadians are commemorated at the Halifax Memorial. There's also a Canadian R. C. Jamieson and a W. Laurie, date given as Jan. 25-1942, but I'm not sure whether they are the passengers listed as British above (all these links are external).

As already mentioned, the external page re USS Swanson below lists some of the missing men as follows:
"Lt. Williams, Royal Navy (Special Branch), bomb disposal expert enroute to Ottawa, Canada, Sub-Lieutenant Jameson, Royal Navy (Special Branch), Canadian, William Laurie, Ordnance Seaman, (Special Branch), Canadian".

Related external links:
USS Swanson's Rescue - Scroll down to "Third trip to Iceland".

Stavern Memorial Commemorations - Norwegians only - some of the names a spelt a little differently; some of the titles are also different.

U-333 | Peter Erich Cremer

Ships hit from convoy ON 55 - As can be seen, has included Ringstad and Silveray in this convoy. Again, A. Hague has listed Silveray in Convoy ON 53, while he has Ringstad in ON 56. Here is's listing of ships sunk in ON 53, and ships hit from convoy ON 56 (Pan Norway and Leiesten included).

Back to Ringstad on the "Ships starting with R" page.

Olav Ringdal, Oslo had another Ringstad post war, built 1969, 21 819 gt. Sold to China in 1977 and renamed Jin Hai.

The text on this page was compiled with the help of: Wilh. Wilhelmsen fleet list, "Nortraships flåte", J. R. Hegland, "Sjøforklaringer fra 2. verdenskrig", Norwegian Maritime Museum, Volume II, and misc. for cross checking details, as named within above text (ref. My sources).


 Site Map | Search |Merchant Fleet Main Page | Home