Shipwreck survivors/ historians/ experts please help

Moderators: KML, Siri

MSP_TV

Shipwreck survivors/ historians/ experts please help

Post by MSP_TV » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Hello all,

I hope this finds you safe and well in these unique times.

I'm trying to trace any survivors of shipwrecks for a National Geographic documentary, there would be no need to be on camera but we are really keen to find survivors or family members with journals from their loved ones who endured such times through the war. The wrecks we are particularly interested in any eyewitness accounts or experts of include;

SS Skytteren
SS Richard Montgomery
HMS Curacao/ Curacoa
SS Laurentic
HMS Edinburgh
Empress of Britain

As we are on a very tight schedule, if you think you can help in any capacity please do not hesitate to contact me. I work on UK time and will reply asap.

Kind regards,
Lucy

www.msptv.co.uk
Siri
Site Admin

Re: Shipwreck survivors/ historians/ experts please help

Post by Siri » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:23 pm

There’s a group in Norway who are involved in registering all the seamen and women who served on Norwegian ships during the war. They may know of someone who served on Skytteren. You’ll find a contact address on this page https://www.krigsseilerregisteret.no/en

Worth a try. They also collect documents, received from family members.
Siri, webmistress of warsailors
MSP_TV

Post by MSP_TV » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks so much for this information Siri. I will send them a message, we really appreciate your help.

I'm also really keen to track down a copy of Sir George Binney's letter to all the ships taking part in the breakout. Do you know anything about who posted it? www.warsailors.com/norships/kvarstad.jpg.

Kind regards,
Lucy
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Hmm - goodness, it’s been so long since I worked on this, but I usually named sources at the bottom of the pages, or sometimes at the top of the page (I’ll probable say something like “received from”). I probably have the letter somewhere in my archives but hard to get to right now. I imagine it originally came from the national archives in Kew and somebody sent it to me. Again, this information should be noted on my page somewhere.
MSP_TV

Post by MSP_TV » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Amazing, thank you so much Siri. We really appreciate your help with this project.

How do you usually get credited for your work? Your full personal name or the website? It's for our credits.

I will keep you updated as our project rolls on over the next few months.

Kind regards,
Lucy
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Warsailors.com is fine.

I’ll have to add though, that the credit is not all mine; so many people (too numerous to name them all here) sent me original documents over the years, I just transcribed them, or summarized them. And a lot of the info came from books (named in my sources at the bottom of each page). So happy my website has been of use to you!