Mystery of Enigma Rotor VIII

Moderators: KML, Siri

Platon Alexiades

Mystery of Enigma Rotor VIII

Post by Platon Alexiades » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Some sources have indicated that the Enigma coding machine Rotor VIII was "pinched" by the Royal Navy in August 1940. I have been unable to find any mention of German vessel warship boarded during that month. Perhaps I have missed something. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion? I have been tempted to believe that the rotor was recovered by divers from the wreck of U-13 sunk on 31 May 1940 or perhaps found on one of the survivors such as happened with U-33 in February 1940. I would welcome comments.

Many thanks,

Platon
crolick

Re: Mystery of Enigma Rotor VIII

Post by crolick » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm

VP 2623 captured by HMS Griffin on April 26th, 1940?!
ORP Marszałek Piłsudski
Motto okrętu: Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da - podpalcie świat!
Darius

Post by Darius » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:12 pm

https://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/40-04.htm

Norwegen
Vor dem Romsdalsfjord stellt der brit. Zerstörer Arrow den dt. Trawler Schiff 37 (ex Schleswig, 433 BRT), getarnt als holländischer Fischdampfer. Es versucht die Arrow zu rammen und wird daraufhin mit Artillerie von dem Zerstörer und dem Kreuzer Birmingham versenkt. Die Zerstörer Griffin, Arrow und Acheron machen sich auf die Suche nach weiteren deutschen Schiffen und stellen den Trawler Schiff 26 (ex Julius Pickenpack, 393 BRT), der von Griffin geentert und nach Scapa Flow geführt wird. Dabei fallen wertvolle Dokumente und Codebücher in die Hände der Engländer.

Regards

Darius
Darius

Post by Darius » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:41 pm

Interesting page on B-Dienst & Enigma, see chapter 6:
https://de.wikibrief.org/wiki/B-Dienst

Not the best german, but it covers all the options germans took on account.

Regards

Darius
Platon Alexiades

Post by Platon Alexiades » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:58 pm

Hello Andrzej and Darius,

Many thanks for your input and comments. The web site link provided by Darius is most interesting.

Although, at least one destroyer, Hans Lüdemann, was boarded after the second battle of Narvik, I have not found anywhere that secret documents were recovered from her. The code books recovered from the Q-ship Schiff 26 enabled the British to read Naval Enigma for a few days in April-May 1940 but there is no evidence that Rotor VIII was recovered at that time.

In 1939, the Poles had provided Rotors I to V. Two of the three Rotors recovered from U-33 in February 1940 were VI and VII so only VIII was missing. According to BP sources, Rotor VIII was recovered in August 1940. I am not sure the date is correct as I am unaware of any German vessel boarded at that time. I suspect that this may have occurred earlier. Candidates are U-13 sunk on 31 May 1940 (from which important documents were recovered although it is not clear if a Rotor was found) and U-26 sunk on 1 July 1940 with her entire crew picked up so perhaps a Rotor was found on one of them.

All the best,

Platon