Admiral Stark Evacuation convoy from Vladivostok

Moderators: KML, Siri

koalashooter

Admiral Stark Evacuation convoy from Vladivostok

Post by koalashooter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:11 am

The Admiral Stark evacuation convoys of White Russian troops and civilians occurred in Oct-Nov 1922 from Vladivostok (and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy) and [mostly] sailed to Genzan then Busan, then onto Shanghai and then finally Manila.

I am trying to locate information on several ships that sailed in the second leg of the convoy from Busan onto Shanghai. In particular I am interested in the date of completion, gross or displacement tonnage, vessel type and dimensions (L x B) and what if anything is known of the vessel's fate. (All were offered for sale in Shanghai but may not necessarily have sold):

Zaschitnik (Defender) Защитник probably a transport
Farvater Фарватер Gunboat (name suggests a survey ship though)
Rezvyy (Frisky) резвый Cutter
Straj probably a transport
Strela (Arrow) Стрела Cutter - also called Strelok in some records

Cutter probably means an Aviso.

Zaschitnik is not confirmed as having sailed to Shanghai but a Soviet agent reported the vessel for sale there so I am inferring the ship sailed later than the others.

Any information welcome.
de domenico

Re: Admiral Stark Evacuation convoy from Vladivostok

Post by de domenico » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 am

REZVYY was the name of an old torpedo-boat of the Baltic Fleet, ex VORON, 220 or 240 tons, built 1898-1901 at St. Petersburg, into Finnish hands 1918 as S-4, in 1922 again REZVYY, broken up 1925.
ZAISHCTNIK (?!) was the name of a Baltic Fleet minesweeper, 190 tons, built 1915-17, also into Finnish hands in 1918.
koalashooter

Post by koalashooter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks De Dominico.

Unfortunately both these ships were in the Baltic not the Pacific. Some naming of vessels at a local level apparently occurred without reference to other ships already carrying the same name elsewhere.

For example there appears to have been a vessel called Orlik in the Arctic as well as Pacific and Farvater was also the name of a ship in the Baltic.

Any ideas as to the pacific based vessels welcome.
Jurole

Post by Jurole » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am

Thank you for sharing this information. I once was in Vladivostok for work when I used to live in my Berlin property here years ago. Really impressive place with lots of ships there. I would recommend to visit if you can of course because it's too far.
Last edited by Jurole on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 pm

I might have this in my files. I built a database of all of the ships/boats that Stark used. Let me check. Back to you shortly.
AvM

Post by AvM » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Marty!

I am nearly sure we have Stark fklotilla already in the "old forum"

Moreover there are series of Russina books on "Belyy Flot Grazhdanskoy Voyny"
= "White Fleet of the Civil War"
(i think 6 veolumes) by Ramoan Lapshin & A.V.Korobeynikov describing every ships of White forces.

Espüecially Vol 4 included "Sibirskaya Flotilla 1921-22"
but there is only STRAZH listed (15grt .no more data)
RAZVYY /(ex PAVEL 1912 Wichorst 74grt)

AvM
koalashooter

Post by koalashooter » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks AVM. While waiting for Marty to reply I can add the following info I recently discovered:

Zaschitnik Защитник was a transport, 785 GRT owned by Russian Volunteer Fleet- allegedly became Taito Maru 1924 and scrapped 1926 but I am sceptical of this. Need date of build and builder.

Strazh Страж I have as 115 grt not 15 grt
Strelok (not Strela) Стрелок no details
Rezvyy резвый no details

Need details for all above still.

I have all 3 of these sold in Shanghai to Chinese Navy where they were transferred to Nanking but remained inactive. Does anyone know their Chinese Naval names and eventual fates?

Any info on 103 dspl ton Ordinaert Ординарец? What was her fate after sale at Genzan?
Any info on Ratvizanchik Ретвизанчик (I have sinking details already)
Any info on 74 dspl ton Userdnii Усердный (I have sinking details already)

All info gratefully received.
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:02 pm

Sorry to say that I do not have access to my files in storage as a result of mandatory isolation orders where I live in the US. I'll check my computer files to see if there is anything I can add.

Marty