Question to forum members

Moderators: KML, Siri

Siri
Site Admin

Question to forum members

Post by Siri » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm

I’ve been wondering, has anyone been sending you spam via private messages through the forum? I’ve been seeing several new registrations here and there that are clearly up to no good, and these get deleted as soon as I spot them. But my problem is that there are others where I can’t be sure, so I’m reluctant to delete them. It has occurred to me that, even though these people don’t post to the forums with a query or answer to a query, perhaps they have registered solely to spam via private messages? Please let me know if you’re receiving nonsense PMs.
Siri, webmistress of warsailors
Darius

Re: Question to forum members

Post by Darius » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Siri,

negativ.

Regards

Darius
lissa

Post by lissa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 am

You should start a section in forum where is topic like introduction present and the other topic like off discussion should present here. In this people can interact with each other even those who don't have technical knowledge about ship.
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 pm

If I understand you correctly, this would be a separate section, concentrating on topics other than ships? If so, I’m not sure that would be a fit, since this entire website has to do with ships and seamen. Besides, I’m sure there are plenty of other such general forums “out there”. Also, I would worry that we would get a lot of nonsense.

However, I’m certainly open to hear the opinions of other members.

Please stay safe and healthy!
phil morgan

Post by phil morgan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Greetings Dear Lady
This has always been a nuisance, which you have admirably dealt with over the years. Just delete them after breakfast. Us Oldies can have a good laugh, SOMETIMES !!!

Best wishes

Phil
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Trust me, Phil, they get deleted even before breakfast, thereby sometimes depriving you of that good laugh! Sorry, not sorry.

Thank you for being here, we go back a long way, through several versions of the forum, you and I.
peter.r

Post by peter.r » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am

Hi Siri, I have never had one, peter.
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 am

Great! Thank you!
Jordi Comas

Post by Jordi Comas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 am

Not yet
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Than you for responding!

Looks like everything is ok then, but please let me know if you do get private spam messages.
Hugh

Post by Hugh » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 am

Hi Siri,
I notice two spam postings in the forum today 18/5 - also I have received a spam PM today.
Regards
Hugh
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm

:evil:

Thanks so much, Hugh.

I assume you’ve deleted it already, but can you remember the sender?

Did anyone else receive spam pm’s? We now have 10 new registrations to the forum in the last two days; this is an unusually high number. None of these 10 have posted messages to the forum itself. In addition to those, I’ve deleted 4 registrations that looked very suspicious, and 2 of which posted spam to the forum, but I can’t be 100 % sure about the other 10, so I’m reluctant to delete just yet, but they too look a little suspicious so if they start posting pm’s, please do let me know.
phil morgan

Post by phil morgan » Mon May 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Greetings Dame Siri
Trust that you have survived the Epidemic. I haven't received any spurious messages for some time. I'm beginning to feel neglected!!

Speak to you soon

Phil
Siri
Site Admin

Post by Siri » Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm

:D I’m glad you’re neglected in this case.

Looks like our forum has been attacked today, so much so that I’ve had to turn on the “registration approval” setting again. This means that anyone who wants to register has to be approved by me before they can register and post. I’ve already deleted around 30, if not more, and have 11 that I haven’t gotten to yet. All of these appear to be the same person, different accounts but same IP address. Some people need to find a better hobby!
t-geronimo

Post by t-geronimo » Mon May 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello Siri!

Nice to read from you again. :D

What I do in my forum when suspicious new members appear: I search on google for their email adress.
When on google the first hits are on "stopforumspam.com" then I mostly delete these new members immediately.

Experience shows that so far I never have deleted a real person who just wanted to be a normal member.

All the best for you.