Naval records research in Spain

Moderators: KML, Siri

mjbollinger

Naval records research in Spain

Post by mjbollinger » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a researcher familiar with researching naval archives in Spain? I need to try to locate the deck logs, or similar records, for the Spanish navy cruiser Conde del Venadito from the period November 1895 to January 1896. I am investigating a specific incident in which is may have intercepted a boat off the coast of Cuba.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marty
Jordi Comas

Re: Naval records research in Spain

Post by Jordi Comas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am

maurice

Post by maurice » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Hello Marty,

Maybe here ?

https://vidamaritima.com/2010/03/el-inc ... -alliance/

Regards

Maurice
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks, Maurice and Jordi

I've thoroughly researched anything available on the web already. (This has been a topic of inquiry for me for at least five years.) The incident in question for me does not involve the (famous) interception described above. I'm looking specifically for help in locating the deck logs of the ship for November and December 1895.

Any suggestions relating to finding these deck logs or engaging a professional researcher in Spain are greatly appreciated.

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello Marty,

I posted a link to the archives when the question was posed in the old forum. That never panned out?

Venadito based in Havana according to this: http://www.armada.mde.es/archivo/mardig ... /06cap.pdf
There is a summary of captures.

here is the archive index.
http://bibliotecavirtualdefensa.es/BVMD ... ath=136112
https://patrimoniocultural.defensa.gob. ... mar_02.pdf

I have an acquaintance I can ask about a researcher if Spanish archivists do not assist. He has published on the Spanish Navy in Cuba to 1898.

Felix
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Hello Felix, and Happy New Year!

Thanks very much for your information. The article by Castañón should be extremely helpful. This is the first time I've received material from the perspective of the Spanish Navy on the interceptions of boats from the US bringing weapons and personnel into Cuba. I've just now translated the material into English (my last lesson in Spanish was over 40 years ago!) and I'll need to study it. This may generate a whole new set of questions.

Again, many thanks.

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Happy to help.

I trawl for Spanish Navy documents as it is an area of interest. will post here if anything new comes up relating to OP.
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks, Felix.

Let me explain the nature of my interest. It may help...

The tugboat Mascot left Baltimore in November 1895 on a presumed voyage to the island of Trinidad. It was never heard from again. There was speculation at the time that the tugboat was on a "filibustering" mission to Cuba. There were newspapers account of one individual, Matthew Kersey, being captured after Mascot was intercepted by a Spanish warship (possibly Venadito) and being sent to a Spanish prison in Cuba. The US government investigated and found nothing, but several witnesses came forward to state they had seen Kersey in a prison in Cuba.

I have spent a year trying to determine if this happened. For the record, Mascot is NOT listed in any published work as one of the filibustering boats. I've reviewed all of the correspondence of the Cuban Revolutionary Party and there is no mention of Mascot. I've looked at five PhD dissertations on the role of the US in Cuba at the time and there is no mention of Mascot. So I think this is an invention of US newspapers who wanted the US to go to war over Cuba.

The last avenue of investigation is to see if there are any records in the Spanish naval archives of an interception of a US tugboat in mid/late December 1895. The article you just provided is an excellent summary -- but provides no such indication of an interception of Mascot. But I will keep looking. Kersey was my grandmothers uncle.

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Hello Marty,

Came across this narrative which lists captures. http://www.armada.mde.es/archivo/mardig ... erno30.pdf

Nothing is shown for the months in question. It is detailed.

You know U.S. State Dept reports from the Embassy/Consulate in Havana might have info.
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello Felix,

Thanks very much. Your efforts here have been extremely helpful

Yes, I plan to visit the US National Archives sometime this year to look through the State Department records. That will be the last source to explore. They did conduct an investigation and concluded that there were no Americans being held from this boat.

Thanks and best regards,

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Hello Marty,

Are you still researching this topic? Update requested.

Regards

FC
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:21 am

Hello Felix,

Yes, I am researching the topic but thus far all investigations have yielded no definitive evidence that the tug Mascot was intercepted and captured / sunk by a Spanish warship off the coast of Cuba in late 1895 or early 1896. I have gone to great lengths to try to find evidence of this, without success. I now believe the newspaper reports of this incident were an example of "Yellow Journalism," designed to create a "war fever" in the United States.

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm

I found the Havanna based newspaper Diario de la Marina online and well it does not include the needed year. https://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00001565/00006/allvolumes.

Originally I thought I had a good source and when I matched the dates I saw no joy, bummer. Well had to post why I recontacted and you see why.

Have source material from 1895-1898 on the way from Spain. Will post again if I find anything.

Regards
FC
mjbollinger

Post by mjbollinger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks, Felix.

I've compiled all of the information I've been able to collect -- what we know to be true and what some have claimed to be true -- into a "white paper" on the subject. This is primarily for the purpose of organizing my research that's than for reaching conclusions. I would be happy to forward it to you if you send me an email address (perhaps via a private message here).

Marty
FelixC

Post by FelixC » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:46 pm

Hello Marty,

Pardon the expectations aroused in my earlier post, I was initially excited at finding the link and then muted seeing the critical years are missing.

Do love the NY Journal story regarding the Mascot.

PM sent.

Regards
Felix C