British submarine wrecks off Le Havre

Moderators: KML, Siri

jan-olof

British submarine wrecks off Le Havre

Post by jan-olof » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:14 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering how many British submarines were lost off Le Havre, personally I only know of one, i.e. D-3, lost in March 1918. Could there be more British subs lost in this area and if so which ones?

Best regards,

Jan-Olof
jan-olof

Re: British submarine wrecks off Le Havre

Post by jan-olof » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Hello again,

The reason for my question is that I stumbled upon this message:

Best regards,

Jan-Olof
Attachments
MkO.jpg
MkO.jpg (143.02 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Platon Alexiades

Post by Platon Alexiades » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Hello Jan-Olof,

This signal is curious. It was certainly not a British submarine so one wonders how the Germans identified the wreck as such? Certainly not a WW2 submarine as none were lost in this area. There were French submarines being built at Le Havre at the time but these (AFAIK) were destroyed on slip. It does not seem to have been a WW1 submarine either. If it was, how come it was not raised between the wars? A depth of 19 metres would not have been difficult to tackle.

I suspect that the wreck was something else. One would have thought that the Germans would have examined the wreck to retrieve documents but nothing seems to have resulted.

Best regards,

Platon
jan-olof

Post by jan-olof » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Hello Platon,

sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it is indeed strange that the Germans doesn't seem to have investigated this further, at least there is no mention of that in the KTB from which I took the message.

Best regards,

Jan-Olof
Urs Heßling

Post by Urs Heßling » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:41 pm

hi,
Platon Alexiades wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:50 pm It does not seem to have been a WW1 submarine either. I suspect that the wreck was something else.
admittedly a VERY slight possibility : https://www.uboat.net/wwi/boats/?boat=UB+26 ?

greetings, Urs