Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Tarifa
Posted by: Mary Hegerty (---.b.001.lis.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:32AM

<HTML>Hello,

I am from Australia and my father was in the RAF in WWII when he was returning home on the Tarifa. He has just been handed the information contained in this site and was amazed to read the information and see a picture of the ship. He actually climbed down the side as it was sinking and was lucky to be in the Captain's lifeboat. He wrote a book on his service some two years ago and what he said in that book about this event is just as you have written it - except that he remembers landing on the island and he and another person walking across the island to the Air Force Base, etc.

Does anyone have any further information. My father still has a
great desire to hear more if anybody out there has information I would love to pass it on to him.
Thanks so much,
Mary</HTML>

Re: Tarifa
Posted by: Siri (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 28, 2004 09:08AM

<HTML>Mary, I tried to send you a mail using the address you have left in your note, but it came back to me as undeliverable (invalid address). Now that I look at it again, it does look a bit strange, having .com as well as .au at the end.

Siri</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2004 02:40AM

<HTML>Siri,

I thought I should not have had .au on the end of my email address. Try again without it. Also you may get through on mervandmary@iprimus.com. Others have been having a little trouble getting emails through. Maybe you can try the above.
Thanks, Mary</HTML>

Date: December 02, 2004 04:43PM

<HTML>I tried the above address, but again my mail came back to me as undeliverable.

I hope I didn't get your hopes up, here's what I said in my mail:

"I'm so pleased to hear that you've spotted my site and that your father has been able to see what I've written about Tarifa. I'm afraid that's all I have for now, but I work on the site every day, and people continuously send me new info, so who knows - there might be more on Tarifa some day as well.

My best wishes to your dad!

Siri"

P.S. I'd be happy to add your dad's story to my "Warsailor Stories" section, if he'd like to write it down for me. It's so important that these stories are not forgotten.</HTML>

Date: December 14, 2004 01:30AM

<HTML>Dear Siri,

I imagine anybody on Tarifa would be fairly old and you might not get any more information - however, I will tell my Dad that you replied and I will ask him if he would mind if I sent you the part of his 'book' referring to the sinking of Tarifa. I am sure he would be delighted. I'll be back to you soon. I will get someone to check out why my email address is not working for you.
Regards, Mary</HTML>

Posted by: wendy browne (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:33PM

My uncle was a survivor when mv. tarifa sank in 1944. I have a copy of a diary.

Posted by: wendy browne (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:38PM

My uncle was aboard the tarifa and I have a copy of his diary if it would be of interest.

Date: February 24, 2005 02:21AM

Dear Wendy,
My dad and I were just checking for replies. Thanks for writing back. I would love to hear the diary account of this event when you have time. Was your uncle a serviceman or one of the crew? Love to hear from you. I am going to forward Dad's account in a few days when I have it checked by him.
Mary

Date: February 24, 2005 02:24AM

Dear Wendy,

Yes, Dad would like to have a copy if its not too much trouble to forward it. Thanks
Mary

Date: March 06, 2005 10:55PM

Dear Siri

I have the extract from my father's book about the Tarifa. I will try to send it to your email address as I cant find anywhere here to attach it. He has read it and the only thing he is not sure about is the exact number of crew. What he remembers might not be accurate as to numbers. Will try to send it today or tomorrow. I have had a reply from someone who has a diary also.

Date: March 10, 2005 01:38AM

Dear Siri,
Have been trying to send my Dad's account of the sinking of Tarifa. Cant get it through. Is there an email address I can send it to or post it.
Regards,
Mary

Date: March 18, 2005 06:10AM

Hi again, did you get my E-mail, Mary?

Siri

Date: March 23, 2005 02:47AM

Have not received an email so far, Siri. Will have to see if I can find someone to help me this time.
Regards,
Mary

Date: March 23, 2005 06:48AM

I don't understand this - I sent you an E-mail on March 10. Sent another one today.

Siri

Posted by: craig (101.161.253.---)
Date: March 17, 2013 05:34PM

Just found this site. My wife's uncle was also on Mv tarifa, but army records appear to be incorrect. Any help on a survivors list would be appreciated. thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.