Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Risdon Beazley Ltd
Posted by: Roy Martin (213.78.92.---)
Date: June 02, 2004 05:18AM

Lyle Craigie-Halkett and I have written a short history of Risdon Beazley - as far as we know almost all the material has not been published before.

It is a modest effort because we don't know what the demand will be [if any!]. 44 A4 pages includes photographs and wartime fleet lists etc. Run off on a copier to keep costs down. Cost £4.99 plus a £1 for p&p.

Roy Martin

Re: Risdon Beazley Ltd
Posted by: Brian Hunt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2004 04:10AM

Hi I also worked for Risdon Beasley as a Fitter in the yard from 1964 to 1980 , have got the book Wealth from the Sea by Allan Crothall and would be interested to know if your book had any new information, for my son.
Give my regards to Lyle. Brian Hunt.

Posted by: alex allison (212.219.242.---)
Date: July 09, 2004 06:37AM

Hi. I worked for Beazleys in the late 60s early 70s and know Cragie Lyle. I have photgraphs of my time on the topmast 20 and have been deperately trying to track down some of the chaps I sailed with. If I have any stuff that may be of use, please let me know.

Posted by: alex allison (212.219.242.---)
Date: July 09, 2004 06:38AM

Hi. I worked for Beazleys in the late 60s early 70s and know Cragie Lyle. I have photgraphs of my time on the topmast 20 and have been deperately trying to track down some of the chaps I sailed with. If I have any stuff that may be of use, please let me know.Roy Martin wrote:

> Lyle Craigie-Halkett and I have written a short history of
> Risdon Beazley - as far as we know almost all the material has
> not been published before.
>
> It is a modest effort because we don't know what the demand
> will be [if any!]. 44 A4 pages includes photographs and
> wartime fleet lists etc. Run off on a copier to keep costs
> down. Cost £4.99 plus a £1 for p&p.
>
> Roy Martin

Posted by: Arthur Gooch (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 01, 2004 06:35PM

I am a researcher trying to trace the records of the Resue Tug 'Empire Sandy'.
I understand this tug was sold to Risdon Beazley c.1947 and re-named 'Ashford'.
I am interested in obtaining a photograph of this tug, with name visible.
Also I'd be interested to learn if the vessel was involved in any memorable events, that can be verifiable

Posted by: Roy Martin (213.78.71.---)
Date: September 02, 2004 08:49AM

Hello Alex

Thank you for your message, sorry about the delay in replying.

I will pass the message on to Lyle. Danny O'Connell came on last month and bought a copy of the book - he is living in Eire.

Best regards

Roy Martin

Posted by: pat waide (---.as1.clm.clonmel.eircom.net)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:46AM

how can I get your book

Posted by: Roy Martin (213.78.75.---)
Date: September 10, 2004 02:49AM

Pat

Did you get my e-mail?

In it I said that you could please send a sterling cheque for £6 or a 10 Euro note with your address to me at Brook House Roman Road Chilworth Southampton SO16 7HE UK and I will send you a copy by 1st class post.

Regards

Roy

Posted by: Lyle Craigie-Halkett (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: September 11, 2004 02:41PM

Hi Alex,
Your name rings a rather large bell in my head but at the moment I cannot place you.Are you from the Shetlands?
I think you must have been on the Topmast 20 when she started working at LeHavre if so I think most of the crew at that time was Tynesiders.
Are you still at sea?
Very best regards,
Lyle.

Posted by: Lyle Craigie-Halkett (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: September 11, 2004 02:52PM

Dear Brian,
Nice to know that you are still interested in the old firm.
Fergy Hinds also wrote a book called "Riches from Wrecks".
I think that you would find this book different from the others as Roy spent a lot of time an effort to get the early days recorded and I think even Mr Crothal got a few surprises from Roys research.
My part was to recall a couple of jobs I was involved in.
We are contemplating to add a lot more to the book some time in the future.
I think John Tasker is near or has retired from a coastal tanker company,Bill Sexton used to go to the same pub as me but he passed away some time ago, but don't hear much of other ex R.B.guys perhaps we should have a renunion sometime.
Best regards,
Lyle.

Posted by: Alex. Allison (212.219.242.---)
Date: September 21, 2004 05:36AM

I have been toying with the idea of a reunion and trying to track down some of the 'old boys' I understand Peter Lyden is dead but I have the details of Roddy Mackinnon who was the cook on the 20 for a while. If there is going to be one then please let me know.
Cheers
Alex

Posted by: Roy Martin (213.78.84.---)
Date: September 21, 2004 10:37AM

Alex

I will have a word with Lyle about a reunion, he keeps in touch more [better] than I do. I will send you Danny O'Connels address when I find it - it is somewhere on my desk!

Cheers

Roy

Date: September 21, 2004 10:42AM

Arthur

In the Special Collections in Southampton library there is a small photograph of the Empire Sandy doing a salvage job in Southampton in 1947, I will let you know when I have seen it.

Apparently, though it is small the name is visible.

Roy

Date: September 21, 2004 10:43AM

Arthur

In the Special Collections in Southampton library there is a small photograph of the Empire Sandy doing a salvage job in Southampton in 1947, I will let you know when I have seen it.

Apparently, though it is small the name is visible.

Roy

Posted by: Patrice ENAULT (---.w193-250.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:15PM

<HTML>To authors Roy Martin and Lyle Craigie-Halkett,

As a collector of books on marine salvage, deep sea recovery, wreck diving, etc, from all over the world, I was extremely interested to hear about your recently published history of Risdon Beazley...

I am presently in Mayotte, Indian Ocean, but I have a postal address in France. Would you please tell me if you book is available and, if so, what is your price with shipping for a sending to France ?

Many thanks for your answer.

Best Regards

Patrice ENAULT</HTML>

Posted by: Patrice ENAULT (---.w193-250.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:20PM

<HTML>To Roy Martin and Lyle Craigie-Halkett,

As a collector of books on marine salvage, deep sea recovery, wreck diving and so on, from all over the world, I was extremely interested to hear about your recently published history of Risdon Beazley...

I am in Mayotte, Indian Ocean, at present time, but I have a postal address in France. Would you, please, precise if your book is always available and, if so, what is your price, with shipping, for a sending to France ?

With all my thanks.

Best regards.

Patrice ENAULT.</HTML>

Posted by: Tony Banham (---.netvigator.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 04:56PM

<HTML>Hi,

I am a researcher trying to contact the family of the famous salvage expert W.A. Doust CBE (who wrote Ocean on a Plank).

His son Rodney Doust worked for Risdon Beazley during the war.

If anyone could put me in touch with Rodney (if he is still around) or his family I would be very grateful.

Regards

Tony</HTML>

Posted by: Roy M (213.78.79.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 09:02AM

<HTML>Hello Tony

I don't have any info on Rodney Doust but if anyone does have anything about his time with RBs I would like to hear. Similarly I am still short of information about RB in the war and would appreciate personal recollections etc.

Best regards

Roy</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Dwyer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: December 30, 2004 09:29AM

<HTML>I am interested in purchasing a copy of your photo copies book on Risdon Beasley, please advise how do I order a copy.

Regards

Terry Dwyer</HTML>

Posted by: Roy M (213.78.83.---)
Date: January 02, 2005 09:04AM

<HTML>Hello Terry

For a copy of the book could send a sterling cheque for £6 [£7 if outside Europe] or a 10 Euro note with your address to me at Brook House Roman Road Chilworth Southampton SO16 7HE UK and I will send you a copy by 1st class post.

Regards

Roy</HTML>

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.