Maritime Books Market Place :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips
Use this forum for selling and buying books, requesting scans from books, if you're looking for advice on where to find a book, or for any other query pertaining to maritime literature. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
World's Merchant Fleets 1939
Posted by: Roger Jordan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2002 01:34AM

<HTML>Hello all:
I was told by my publisher a few days ago that the UK edition of "The World's Merchant Fleets 1939" is now out of print. I have been told also that for the US edition, published by Naval Institute Press, stocks are very low.
I am now preparing the next edition, which will be "The World's Merchant Fleets 1945", and subject to all going to plan, this should appear before the end of 2003.
Regards
Roger W Jordan</HTML>

Re: World's Merchant Fleets 1939
Posted by: Dave Weaver (---.netvigator.com)
Date: October 15, 2002 03:22AM

<HTML>Rodger,

Will this "new" book be a reprint of the old one, or, the old one with a massive update on detail gathered over the years?

Dave Weaver
Hong Kong</HTML>

Date: October 15, 2002 04:22AM

<HTML>Hello Dave
The new book will be of same style as "1939", and will list the fleets as existing in 1945. It will include all of the war-built ocean-going merchant vessels together with the vessels that had not been lost up to the end of 1944. There will be various appendices, including losses that occurred in 1945-46, and losses of war-built vessels up to the end of 1944. Unlike other publications, with the exception of one recent edition from Canada, which dealt with Canadian vessels, the wartime managers/operators will also feature, so that instead of one continuous list of vessels found under, for example, US War Shipping Administration, the WSA/USMC vessels will be listed under the respective managers/operators (many such operators existed for only a few years during 1943-47).
The fleet lists will also include the very large numbers of postwar newbuildings planned or ordered during 1945-46.
The publisher is considering a reprint of "1939".
Regards
Roger</HTML>

Posted by: Jan-Olof (---.telia.com)
Date: October 15, 2002 10:30AM

<HTML>Hello Roger,

You wrote:

>The publisher is considering a reprint of "1939".

If the publisher decide to do that, will it be possible for you to make changes/updates in that edition? Considering the vast scope of the book it would seem reasonable the one or two errors have crept in.

btw, looking forward to your next book. It'll definitely be worth waiting for.

Regards

Jan-Olof</HTML>

Date: October 15, 2002 02:32PM

<HTML>Hello Jan-Olof
The question of an addendum/corrigendum has been discussed and the publisher considers this the most economical way to amend anything that needs to be amended.
Regards
Roger</HTML>

Posted by: Jan-Olof (193.111.107.---)
Date: October 16, 2002 03:22AM

<HTML>Hello Roger,

An addendum/corrigendum sounds like a great idea. Even if there are no errors to fix there might be some new information about various vessels that may have become available since the book was released. Some of this information can probably be found on Siri's excellent forums.

Regards

Jan-Olof</HTML>

Posted by: Siri (---.barcpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 16, 2002 06:27AM

<HTML>
> btw, looking forward to your next book.

Me too - in fact - I might get both, because the one I have has completely come apart (from overuse).

Siri</HTML>

Posted by: Ron (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2002 05:57AM

<HTML>Hi Roger

Looking forward to seeing the new book, any idea of the price or will it be around the same as '39'?

Cheers Ron</HTML>

Date: October 17, 2002 07:55AM

<HTML>Ron
I have no idea of price, and I do not think the publisher has decided yet, but if you reckon on no more than a 10% increase over the price of "39", then you may not be too far out.
Regards
Roger</HTML>

Posted by: Tim Hillier (---.ceecom.co.uk)
Date: March 14, 2003 05:34AM

<HTML>I too have found this book wonderful - very good value for money, though I have a puzzle regarding one of my Father's ships S.S. Hardingham (perhaps there were two of the same name during WWII??) My Father served on her during November/December 1943, yet the ship mentioned in this fine volume was apparently sunk a year or two previously...and so far I haven't been able to find another, so my search continues..

I very much look forward to obtaining a copy of the 1945 Volume as it may clear up the mystery..

K Regards
Tim</HTML>

Posted by: Poul Bech (129.142.132.---)
Date: March 18, 2003 05:46AM

<HTML>Hello Mr. Jordan!
I am looking forward to Your new edition of Merchant Fleet of 1945. Your 1939-edition is excellent.
Have You other planes to write a book of the fate of the small Merchant Ships in the World in 1939-1945. I am missing to wrote about passangierships and ferrys. It is a big area, but I am sure, that many people are interested in the subject.
Many regards
Poul Bech</HTML>

Posted by: Jan van der Doe (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 17, 2004 08:25AM

Is the book "World's Merchant Fleet 1945" aready pubished and where.

I don't remember anything reading about it.

Regards,

Jan van der Doe
Fergus, ON.

Re: World's Merchant Fleets 1945
Posted by: Dave campbell (---.ns.aliant.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 12:58PM

<HTML>Hello Roger I have youe first book and just now found this site. I would very much like to purchase "World's Merchant Fleets 1945. If it is anything near your first publicatiom The Worlds Merchant Fleets 1939 it will be great! Thanks for any information,Regards,Dave</HTML>

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.