Ship Forum :  Warsailors.com Warsailors.com

Norwegian Merchant Fleet WW II | 100 Most Recent Ship Forum Postings | Forum Tips

Re: Camicia Nera
Posted by: LColombo (IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2019 04:17PM

I recently bought the book "Vita di mio nonno" by Alberto Minissi, nephew of Manlio Bartolini, chief engineer of the tanker Poza Rica. Bartolini was awarded a Bronze Medal for Military Valor for his behaviour during this attack, and the book covers these events quite extensively. I cannot find anything about the first attack, but for the second one (when Poza Rica was torpedoed) the book contains a brief report by Marina Corf¨, which mentions 25 men wounded, many seriosuly, on "Geniere", including Captain Minotti (seriously wounded) and Squadron Assistant Ciccolini (mortally wounded). However, there seems to be some confusion about the real name of this destroyer, since - as far as I know - Minotti was in command of Aviere, not Geniere. Poza Rica lost ten men killed when she was torpedoed; the radio operator died shortly after being wounded by machine gun fire, whereas most of the other victims apparently died from the effect of fuel vapour after jumping into the sea. Excerpts of Climene's reports are also included, where it is clearly stated that she suffered no casualties in either attacks. No info about Ciclone and Camicia Nera.

In the Italian Navy WWII killed/missing lists I find the following deaths for this attack:

Camicia Nera: three killed (gunner Pasquale Orsini, firemen Livio Zatti and Carlo Stocchi, all recorded as having died on 20 August)

Aviere: two killed (Lieutenant Commander Mario Ciccolini, seaman Giuseppe Bubbi)

Geniere: three killed (sergeant Lanciotto Fossi, Lieutenant Alessandro Mondello, both on 21 August; seaman Alfredo Fornaciari, on 22 August)

Ciclone: three killed (gunner Giovanni Maiano, on 21 August; gunner Antonio D'Acquisto, on 22 August; gunner Cleofino Ruffini, on 23 August)

Subject Written By Posted
  Camicia Nera Comas 02/09/2019 02:13AM
  Re: Camicia Nera Platon Alexiades 02/09/2019 08:30AM
  Re: Camicia Nera Comas 02/09/2019 12:28PM
  Re: Camicia Nera Platon Alexiades 02/10/2019 09:18AM
  Re: Camicia Nera Comas 02/10/2019 10:22AM
  Re: Camicia Nera LColombo 02/10/2019 04:17PM
  Re: Camicia Nera LColombo 02/10/2019 04:24PM
  Re: Camicia Nera Comas 02/11/2019 09:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.