Re: Suez Canal Crisis 1956
Posted by: de domenico
Date: July 05, 2018 10:19AM
In Tony Booth's "Admiralty Salvage in Peace & War 1906-2006", Pen & Sword, 2007, there is mention of 21 wrecks in Port Said alone, ranging in size from 100 to 4,000 tons, all but one sunk on or near the approaches to the Canal entrance. Aerial reconnaissance reported another 28 sunken vessels along the rest of the Canal from El Cap to Suez. The first wreck raised was a pontoon crane with a dwt of about 400 tons. Several large tugboats scuttled included the 235-ton GARII, lying across the Canal entrance. The biggest wreck was the 4,000-ton dredger PAUL SOLENTE, which was raised and beached well clear of the Canal entrance. The Anglo-French salvage team managed to raise 13 ships from Port Said by Jan. 24, 1957.
Frederic Stahl, in "Navires & Histoire" no. 108, June-July 2018, lists the following:
the LST AKA, ex LST-178; the intended passenger vessels (but according to H.T. Lenton their mercantile conversions had been abandoned in 1950) ex RN frigates PAPUA and TOBAGO; the Flower-Class corvette MISR ex SS MABROUK ex HMCS SASKATOON (which according to Jane's 1955-56 and miramar had been lost in a collision with JAGUAR South of Suez on 16/17 May 1953); and a Bangor-Class minesweeper, SOLLUM ex HMCS WEDGEPORT (which again according to Jane's, miramar and H.T. Lenton had foundered off Alexandria on 7 March 1953); an LCT Mk.4 and some LCMs.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 10:31AM by de domenico.