Re: Greek custom boats A1-A6
Posted by: Aris
Date: March 21, 2018 11:17AM
The four ships were originally named D1-D4. Under these names they were delivered to the Greek Customs, a department of the Greek Ministry of Finance, and operated in anti-smuggling duties. Hence, as originally they were not classed a warships.
A1 which was captured in Piraeus largely intact and commissioned in 6.41 as the German coast defence fleet as 12V10. Then in 11.42 she was renamed GA 04 and later became GP 09.
Italy actually seized A2 (aground at Rio, Patras) and A3 (aground at Arahovitika, Patras) and refloated them both in September 1941.
In January 1942 they were taken in tow from Patras, but A3 sprang a leak and sank off Cape Drapano on 21/1.
Eventually A2 was towed to Taranto and there she was retaken by the Greek Navy in September 1943. She was found in poor condition and following repairs was taken to Augusta and then to Malta where she was renamed VS 902. She received more repairs at Malta and then sailed for Alexandria. However en route she suffered a mechanical break down and as she met rough seas, she foundered off eastern Libya. Her crew was picked up by the accompanying British ML.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 11:18AM by Aris.