Re: Hungarian steamer TURUL in II WW.
Posted by: Urbain UREEL
Date: May 13, 2004 11:44AM
The TURUL was built as PLM 5 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse,Michigan (Yard nr.163) for Société Nationale d'Affrètements , PARIS.
She measured 2820 GT 1508 NRT and 253.0 x 43.5 x 25.6 feet.
T.3cyl. by the Great Lakes Engineering Works, Detroit, Michigan USA 284 NHP
She had been built for the Clinchfield Navigation Co. New York, USA but later taken over by Oriental Navigation Corp., New York, then to SN d'Affrètements in France.
March 1925: sold to Polish Government (Naval Dept) Warsaw, renamed WARTA.
1927: owners Panstwowe Przedsiebiorstwo 'Zegluga Polska', Gdynia, POL
1932: Zegluga Polska Spolka Akcyjna, Gdynia, POL
1935:sold to Orazio Resini , Genoa, ITA and registered in Budapest,HUNGARY.
1935: Sold to B.Burger e 'Finagra'SA Genoa, but registered in Budapest, Hungary and renamed TURUL.
1938: Owners became SA Maritime et Commerciale, Geneva, Switzerland but reg.in Budapest,HUNG
1940: Panama flag
19.12.1954 arrived Milford Haven to be BU by T.W.Ward Ltd.
Hope this is of some use?